Department Aims and Objectives
The aim for all pupils is to:
- develop a response to musical sound;
- develop the necessary skills and concepts whilst engaged in musical activities;
- develop the capacity to express ideas and feelings through the medium of sound; develop social skills and awareness through music-making;
- offer pupils opportunities to experience the personal satisfaction and self-confidence derived from striving after the highest possible standards whilst engaged in musical activities.
The objective is that all pupils should:
- have the excitement and joy of performing music in various ways and sharing their developing expertise with friends and parents both in the school and in the wider community.
- have acquired a recognised knowledge of the elements of music - melody, rhythm, harmony, dynamics, pitch, instrumentation and texture - developing the ability to build musical compositions and perform them.
- be able to recognise fully music notation and use their knowledge to create their own compositions.
- able to make simple decisions and support arguments using a growing knowledge of music vocabulary.
- have experienced many sorts of music, from Medieval to 21st century including folk, world, jazz and popular music.
- have had an opportunity to sing / perform a variety of styles, performing in an expressive manner.
- make an appropriate use of I.C.T. music software to explore and record sounds.