Year 5 Key Objectives
- Explain what each digit represents in whole numbers and decimals with up to two places, and partition, round and order these numbers.
- Use knowledge of place value and addition and subtraction of two-digit numbers to derive sums and differences and doubles and halves of decimals (e.g. 6.5 ± 2.7, half of 5.6, double 0.34).
- Use efficient written methods to add and subtract whole numbers and decimals with up to two places.
- Construct frequency tables, pictograms and bar and line graphs to represent the frequencies of events and changes over time.
- Read and plot coordinates in the first quadrant; recognise parallel and perpendicular lines in grids and shapes; use a set-square and ruler to draw shapes with perpendicular or parallel sides.
- Draw and measure lines to the nearest millimetre; measure and calculate the perimeter of regular and irregular polygons; use the formula for the area of a rectangle to calculate the rectangle’s area.